- 1/2 onions, diced 100 g
- 2 stalks celery, diced 140 g
- 2 1/2 carrots, diced 260 g
- 10 button (white) mushrooms, thinly sliced 140 g
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 1 pinch salt [optional] 0.1 g
- ground pepper to taste
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced 400 g
- 180 g stewing beef cubes, diced
- 1/3 cup pearl barley 60 g
- 4 cups beef broth 1 L
- Prepare the vegetables: Dice the onion, celery and carrots; thinly slice the mushrooms; mince or press the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, and mushrooms, then sauté until they are tender, about 10 min. Season with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, peel and dice the potatoes; dice the beef cubes into small pieces (about 1 cm).
- Add the barley, potatoes, and beef, then sauté 2 min with stirring. Pour in the broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer 50 min, or until the barley and potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust the seasoning, ladle the soup into bowls then serve.
The soup keeps up to 7 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.