I got this recipe from the newspaper years ago, and make it frequently. I serve it with my cucumber yogurt sauce, which I’m also posting. Be warned- It is very garlicky. Also, use less pepper if you’re using all beef instead of lamb.
INGREDIENTS SERVINGS 6-8
- 1 lb lean ground lamb (I frequently grind the lamb in my food processor or meat grinder and sometimes add beef)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine ingredients in a bowl, and shape into 1/2 inch thick patties.
- Broil 8-10 minutes until no longer pink.
- Slice thinly and serve with pita bread, sliced tomatoes, thinly sliced onion, cucumber yogurt sauce.